Outdoors | Recreation,
Puppies: Ages 12weeks - 11months (must be under 1 yr old)
Handlers: Ages 7 & up (Adult must remain on site for age 7-15)
Now that you've got that adorable bundle of fur, let's get started on the ABC's of puppy training, using positive reinforcement.
We will focus on Attention, better Behavior, and Communication through verbal & visual cues.
This class also incorporates the American Kennel Club's S.T.A.R. Puppy program.
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is an exciting new program designed to get dog owners and their puppies (up to 1 year old) off to a good start.
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is an incentive program for loving dog owners who have taken the time to take their puppies through a basic training class. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC® Canine Good Citizen® Program.
Upon passing the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy testing, you & your puppy can receive from the AKC:
an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal, will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records, a frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC, and more.
20 STEPS To Success:
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppys Test:
1. Maintains puppy's health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner's choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner to handle and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)
When you come to class please remember to have a plain buckle or clip collar (no choke or prong collars), a 4' or 6' flat leash (no flexi leashes), and small soft treats. Must bring current vaccination record to first class.
$95 per dog
10% for Seniors (55+) (available online)
20% for dogs adopted from Culpeper Animal Shelter, must show copy of adoption contact (discount available in person only, discount must be applied prior to registering)